The United Kingdom holds the tag of the world’s top economy. People from various parts of the world want to be a part of this country in any way. Due to the rising demands and upgrading working conditions, employers in the United Kingdom also want to hire compelling professionals from all around the world. However, there are several rules and regulations which you should know before hiring employees outside the United Kingdom. That’s why it is necessary to know about the Right to work checks in the United Kingdom. This specific process is essential to know whether employees have the legal rights to work in the United Kingdom or not. While hiring employees for your UK venture, it is essential that you maintain compliance with UK visas and immigration laws to avoid illegal employment. However, in this regard, a UK immigration lawyer can also provide essential inputs. It can help you understand the entire process.
This critical information will discuss several essential factors of Right-to-work checks in the United Kingdom. Let’s delve into this article to understand the factors related to this process.
An Overview of Right-to-Work Check
First, you must understand that Right to Work checks are basically a verification process that UK employers must execute to know whether their employees have the right to work in the country. According to the new amendments in the immigration law, the UK government has mandated that all UK employers execute this process on all their overseas employees. Right-to-work checks must be implemented before the joining date of the employee. It may cause severe consequences if you fail to comply with right-to-work checks. It may cause you a hefty amount of acceptable and criminal charges as well. Hence, it is essential to initiate this process to skip these challenges. It is understandable that it is complicated to understand this process, but to overcome these complexities, it is advisable to get along with a UK immigration lawyer. There are several immigration law firms in the United Kingdom, such as A Y & J Solicitors. They have knowledgeable and experienced solicitors who can help you understand the process of Right-to-work checks.
How to Conduct a Right-to-Work Checks?
Here in this segment, we will discuss some of the essential steps that will be required for conducting Right-to-work checks in the United Kingdom.
- #Step1: In the process of implementing Right-to-work checks, it is essential that you ask your employees to provide all their original documents that demonstrate their right to work in the United Kingdom. These documents can be their immigration status, valid passport and their biometric details.
- #Step2: Once they Provide you with all the documents, you must check them thoroughly. You must ensure that all the documents provided by the employees should be genuine and demonstrate the validity of employees. It is also essential to check closely if there are any signs of forgery. Always remember that it is basically the employer’s duty to check all this specific information thoroughly.
- # Step 3: As a responsible employer, you must keep all the copies of original documents of your employee. Keep all the records of the employees for future perspectives. The UK Home Office can ask you anytime to show the records of your non-EU or non-EEA employees. So, keeping all the records in a documented file is essential.
- # Step 4: At the last step of right-to-work checks, cross-check all the above steps to avoid discrepancies. It is also essential to perform follow-ups before the expiration of their current immigration status.
Who Has the Right to Work in the United Kingdom?
For UK employers, knowing who has the right to work in the United Kingdom is also essential. Here, we have mentioned a list of those who have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
- First of all, British citizens have the utmost right to work under any employer in the United Kingdom.
- All non-EU and non-EEA employees can work in the United Kingdom if they have specific qualifications and eligibility.
- People who are living in the United Kingdom as certified refugees also have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
It is essential for you to know the background of the employees you are hiring for your UK venture. However, there are various rules and regulations related to UK immigration, and it is essential that you understand them. In this regard, it is essential that you get help from a UK immigration lawyer.
In conclusion, people who want to work in the United Kingdom need to fulfil all the essential requirements and eligibility criteria. Apart from that, it is also essential for the UK employer to keep track records of the employees they hire from overseas countries. They are required to implement right-to-work checks to know the authenticity of their employees.