Jaw Pain: Find a TMJ Dentist Near Me
TMJ disorders are common and can happen at any age, although they are more likely to occur in older people. When someone believes they may have one of these disorders, they need to learn as much as possible about the symptoms and treatment. Finding the right dentist to treat TMJD is integral for getting relief from the discomfort.
What Is TMJD?
Temporomandibular joint dysfunction happens when damage occurs to the joint of the jaw. Sometimes, the exact cause of these disorders is difficult to determine. Finding a TMJ Dentist Near Me is critical for a proper diagnosis and treatment.
What Are the Symptoms of TMJD?
Multiple symptoms may occur when someone suffers from temporomandibular joint disorders. The following are some of the most common symptoms people may experience. If someone suffers from these, they need to find a dentist right away.
- Pain and tenderness in the jaw area that may worsen with opening the mouth wide
- Pain in one or both joint sides
- Aching pain in the ear area that makes the ear feel full
- Difficulty chewing or pain when chewing
- Pain the face that causes a deep ache
- Locking or clicking of the jaw joint that makes it difficult to open the mouth
TMJ disorders may cause some or all of the above symptoms. Individuals may also experience a grinding sound or sensation when they are opening or closing their mouths or chewing. If a person does not experience any pain with their symptoms, it is likely TMJD is not the problem.
What Are the Common Causes of TMJD?
TMJ disorders are sometimes difficult to find a direct cause. The following are some of the most common causes for these types of disorders. Being aware of the causes helps individuals seek the treatment they need.
- Disc erosion or displacement
- Cartilage damage
- Joint damage caused by impact
How to Find the Right TMJ Dentist
Not all dentists specialize in treating temporomandibular joint dysfunction. Finding the right dentist to offer TMJ treatment becomes essential. The following tips will help individuals find the right dentist to meet their treatment needs.
- One of the most important considerations is the level of experience of the dentist. How long have they been treating TMJ disorders? What is their treatment approach?
- What is the personality of the dentist? Are they compassionate and understanding towards TMJ disorder sufferers?
- Does the dentist take the individual's insurance? TMJ treatments are sometimes costly. Knowing the costs and whether insurance is accepted will help a person make the right decision.
Find the Best TMJ Dentist Today
The right TMJ dentist should be highly skilled and have a wide range of experience treating all kinds of jaw joint disorders. Individuals should also make sure the dentist is compassionate in the care they provide patients.
Those who are suffering from TMJD need to know their options for treatment. Finding the right TMJ dentist will help ensure a person gets the full integrative care they need for their joint condition. With the right dentist, individuals receive effective treatments that lessen their symptoms.