7 Natural Homeopathic Remedies for Women’s Hair Loss
Hair loss for women is a multi-dimensional problem. Not only is there the obvious stigma for a woman to have others see her hair loss, but there is also a deep psychological trauma for women who lose their hair. Much of a woman’s self-perception can be wrapped up in how her hair looks. This can be especially true if the hair loss is sudden or drastic.
Fortunately there are quite a number of homeopathic remedies and treatments for this situation. In this article we will explore many of them and provide additional information to guide women seeking this help. A doctor should be consulted before beginning a homeopathic path to remediating this emotional and physical condition.
What Causes Hair Loss?
There are few controversies when seeking an answer to why a woman loses her hair. Common reasons include:
• Dietary issues
• Lifestyle Concerns
Genetics plays a major role in hair loss as women age. These genetic issues can partially be helped by taking certain steps as women age. These steps outlined below can help women with ‘bad” genes overcome them to have healthy hair.
Most people are not aware that hair goes through two phases. The first is a growth phase, known as Anagen and the second is a resting phase known as Telogen. As women age, hormone changes make the resting phase longer and the growth phase far shorter. Things like stress, medications that change the immune system and emotional disturbances all contribute to hair loss. Another cause of hair loss are nutritional concerns. Because the hair shaft is made up of proteins, a lack of them can cause the hair to thin. Biotin, Folic Acid and other vitamins and minerals can help supplement a diet that lacks protein to encourage hair growth.
How Does Homeopathy Help?
For conventional treatments of hair loss, a variety of supplements and other treatments, like hair replacement are used.
Homeopathic remedies can be pursued to ameliorate this condition without the use of drugs. In general, the practice of homeopathy treats each individual as unique. Those professionals who practice homeopathy look into an individual’s physical, mental, emotional and social experiences before discussing a specific way to move forward. As a general rule, homeopathy also looks to treat the cause of hair loss and not just the symptoms. Also, homeopathy works to heal from within and seeks to provide holistic treatments and not just get rid of the individual symptoms. Usually when a homeopathic approach is used, the illness does not come back and wellness becomes a way of life for the patient. These treatments are long lasting in their provision of relief for the patient.
There are a Number of Treatments that Can Help Reverse Hair Loss and Promote Hair Regrowth.
Some of these treatments are more homeopathic than others, but all refrain from using strong drugs and rely more on the practice of homeopathy than others. They include, but are not limited to:
1. Iron- This nutrient helps an individual’s body make more blood. Not always understood why this happens, but eating plenty of iron containing foods such as leafy greens, meat, fish, tofu, poultry and broccoli helps this process. As previously advised, speaking with your doctor is very important because too much iron can be harmful.
2. Biotin- This vitamin, also known as Vitamin B7 is often suggested by many doctors. In addition to helping hair growth, it also helps with the growth of nails and repairing the skin. Many believe that you can get enough Biotin from foods like eggs, wheat germ and all kinds of mushrooms. Hair products often tout that Biotin is an ingredient in them. This may not help and it should not be specifically used on the scalp.
3. Saw Palmetto- is made from the fruit of the small palm tree. This herbal remedy is sometimes praised as a miracle drug. There are studies that have shown that it cuts down on the male hormone of testosterone breaking down which helps retain hair and prevent its loss. It is believed to be safe and can be used with other drugs too.
4. Melatonin- is a supplement that is often known as the ‘sleep hormone’. A cream containing melatonin can cut down on hair loss and even boost growth. For reason that are yet to be totally understood, people followed in a study found that a mixture of melatonin on their scalp experienced less hair loss in 30 days. For those struggling with dandruff, using melatonin is an added benefit. You should check with your doctor before using as there are some potential side effects.
5. Amino Acids- are considered ‘building blocks’ of protein. As we know, getting enough protein is vital for hair growth. Some amino acids -- such as cysteine and L-lysine -- play a special role in keeping your hair healthy and growing. Fortunately by eating a healthy diet, you do not need to take any amino acid supplements; you will get them through the foods you eat.
6. Minerals- such as oat straw and nettle leaf can be used to help hair growth. Both are high in minerals and nettle leaf is specifically high in calcium, sulfur and silica which are vital for healthy hair growth and can boost collagen growth. Nettle leaf can be made into a tea. Recipes for this tea are available on the internet. And it should be used for at least 30 days to see the rapid increase in hair growth. Oat straw also high in minerals, especially silica that can help decrease hair loss. It can also help with an itchy scalp or dandruff. It can be made into a tea of applied directly on the scalp.
7. Coconut Oil for dry scalp can be used to help hair growth. Many experts agree that using it on your scalp will help you achieve healthy hair and increase thickness, length and give you more luxurious hair. Research studies have shown that coconut oil can repair the skin barrier which is the top layer of the skin on your head. Evidence has also shown that coconut oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can stimulate the production of collagen which can stimulate keratin. Keratin contains protein which is crucial to healthy hair.
Hair loss can be an emotionally difficult experience for women. These tips for healthy hair and hair regrowth will help to provide relief for women.