As we spend so much of our time online, it’s important that we are aware of the steps we can take to enhance our online security. Failure to do so could result in important data being leaked, which could land you in a difficult financial situation further down the line - this is particularly true if you run your own online business but is also critical in your daily life.
This is due to the fact that a great deal of the data we store online could be considered sensitive. For example, this could include:
- Financial Data (Bank statements, financial plans, cheques, receipts and invoices)
- Personal Data (Addresses, email address, phone number, place of employment)
With that in mind, here are some top tips that you can use to stay safe online!
- Remember that online safety refers to far more than setting up a good password (though this is critical); you need to ensure that you proceed with caution no matter how you spend your time online. For example, security is also particularly important when it comes to social media and online dating.
- Check the security of your passwords by using a secure password checker - this way, you can gain insight into whether or not your data is well protected online. This system will not store any of the data you input but will provide you with an insight into how long it would take a computer to hack into your accounts. Furthemore, you should ensure that you do not use the same password over and over again.
- Install some form of antivirus protection on your computer. While some forms of protection can be expensive, plenty of companies offer free antivirus protection to their users. You should also ensure that you update this software regularly to maximise your security efforts.
- Whenever you get a new phone, ensure that you erase all important information from your old device before disposing of it. This is especially important if you intend to donate or sell your phone, as you do not want to leak sensitive information such as your banking details or personal documents. Thankfully, there are various guides online that talk you through the process of removing documents and data on iphone.
- As mentioned previously, if you run your own business, your online security is more important than ever - especially as you can land in legal trouble if your client’s private data is leaked. As such, you may also want to look into cybersecurity courses that can help you take your security measures to the next level while providing you with a deeper insight into what good cyber security and safe online practices actually entails. You can then share this information with the rest of your team and your colleagues.
- Another way in which you can ensure that you stay safe online is by using a VPN. A VPN is a virtual private network, which allows you to connect with the internet without sharing your data. As such, not even your internet provider will know what content you are viewing or where you are viewing it from. As such, this is a great way to ensure that all information stored on your computer is well-protected and difficult to obtain without the proper authorisation.
In short, there are various steps that you can take that will help you stay safe online - many of which simply revolve around being a little more mindful in your daily life.