How to Curl Thick Hair With a Flat Iron
Let me let you in on a bit of a secret. You know those hot girls on Instagram with perfectly curled hair?
Yes, they use flat irons to get those red carpet-worthy looks!
We have outlined techniques and steps to help you achieve these perfect beach waves with your flat iron. It’s easier than you can imagine.
Step By Step Guide on How to Curl Thick Hair With Flat Iron
Prepare Your Hair
Start with clean, dry hair because the dirt and built-up products can interfere with your results. So, shampoo your hair first, making sure the shampoo does not contain lauryl sulfate or any other sulfate. Sulfates tend to dry out your hair and leave it looking limp.
After washing your hair, detangle it to get rid of the tangles and knots. Use your fingers to work out the kinks. Then condition your hair and blow-dry it. One way to add extra volume to your curls is to apply mousse to your hair before blow-drying.
Section Your Hair
Working with thick hair can be tiring, especially with all the arm raising. So, part your hair into manageable sections you can work with. Ensure that the sections are evenly divided so that you get similar curl patterns in all of them.
Working through your hair in bits makes it easier for you to get professional-looking results. Typically, the thicker your hair is, the more sections you will need to create. You can hold the sections in place with a hair clip.
Apply a Heat Protectant
Once you are applying heat to your hair, you must ensure that your strands are well protected.
A heat protectant offers your strands the necessary protection from the heat so that they do not start to frizzle and burn. Spritz it all over your hair and leave it to dry; don’t worry, it dries off quickly.
Since your hair is thick, it is best to spray on each section you want to work with so that every strand is well protected.
Turn on your flat iron and wait for a few minutes for it to heat up. After that, unclip one section of your hair and divide it into smaller bits. Start at the bottom of your hair and gently clamp down your flat iron.
Pull the iron towards the tip of your hair like you want to straighten it; when you get to the part of your hair you’d like the curls to start from, change the angle of your flat iron.
We advise that you change the angle of your flat iron at the middle portion of your strands for that natural curly look. You’d want to hold it at 180 degrees away from your face and gently tug it down the rest of your strands.
Repeat this step until your entire hair is curled. Run your fingers gently through your hair to break up the curls and give you that messy, beachy look.
Finish off your look with a volumizing hair spray to add more bounce to your hair. Ta-da, you are ready to walk the red carpet!
How to Create Simple Beach Wave with a Flat Iron
If you are a fan of Beach C-waves, then you’d be delighted to learn that you can achieve the entire look with your flat iron. Here’s how
- Section off your thick hair and apply a heat protectant to each section.
- Unclip one section and make a different cut that is about 1 inch wide.
- Place your flat iron at the base of that small portion and pull it up gently, making a C shape. For best results, ensure that the rounded curve of the shape faces outside.
- Repeat the C motion only this time, curl the hair in the opposite direction like you want to write an S.
- Repeat these steps until your hair is done.
- Run your finger through the curls to loosen it up a bit.
- Finish off the look with a lightweight hair spray.
How to Create Bouncy Curls With a Flat Iron
Bouncy curls are curls with lots of lift and volume. They look a lot harder to achieve at home, but once you master the technique, you’d see that bouncy curls are a breeze to do. Follow these easy steps.
- Wash your hair thoroughly and dry it. Condition it and detangle gently with your fingers so that your hair is soft and smooth.
- Divide your thick hair into smaller sections that you can handle easily. Apply heat protectant generously to these sections and hold them in place with a clip.
- Start from the section at the back, divide it into a smaller piece about 1 inch wide. Lift your hair and place your flat iron at the root of the hair.
- Twist the flat iron away from your face and pull it tightly from the root to the tips. Do this twice per strand to get that extra bounce.
- Continue until you have curled all the sections.
- Spritz a generous amount of hair spray to add volume to the hair.
How to Create S Curls with a Flat Iron
S curls are elegant and easy to create with a flat iron. You will need to make slight changes to achieve this look since it is more of a wave and not a curl. Let’s look at the best way to get this look.
- Prep your hair and section it off. Since your hair is thick, make more sections.
- Rather than dividing the sections into smaller bits of 1 inch, make it bigger. Bits of 1.5-inch wide hair work great.
- Clamp down at the root of the hair and use your free hand to grab the free hair in the middle.
- Move your flat iron in an s shape towards your face. Make the S motion again, but this time, move in the opposite direction from your face.
- Finish your hair and allow the curls to cool. Once cool, brush out the curls gently and spritz texturizing spray all over it.
You can curl your hair easily with a flat iron at home. Just follow the steps in our guide; for best results, you can practice with the flat iron switched off. Remember, practice makes perfect.