Important Advice You Need To Hear If You Are Currently Moving (Out Of Your or To) House
So, you are at that stage of your life where you have to move into your new home. This stage requires you to take big steps, especially if you are moving out of your parent's house for the first time. It can be a daunting and emotional experience for you. There's a lot to think about, from finances, packing your things and moving, to furnishing your new place and so on.
Lucky for you, we have compiled some of the best advice and tips to make your moving easier.
Put your finances in order
You know, at this point, you no longer have the benefit of living with your family, and you are going to live by yourself. First, you need to sort out your budget to see if you can afford to live by yourself. Compare your income and expenses, consider everything, including gym membership, phone bills, travel expenses, and the likes.
If you are renting, then you must calculate how much rent you can afford and factor in your council tax, and utility bills, etc., If you are not certain about any part of your budget, it is safer to overestimate. That way, your budget doesn't fall short of your expenses.
You can also find a housemate or flatmate if you don't mind sharing the apartment to reduce the financial burden on you.
Do the budget for moving to the new place itself. Whether you are buying a house or renting an apartment, take every step to prepare for a smooth move. Consider the best and cost-effective way to move your things, it could be a one-time movement or several short trips in your car, or you hire a removals company.
Be sure about the location
After finding the place you are moving to, make sure you are happy with the apartment location. For context, if you have an apartment in a low-rent location that requires you to walk hours to the train station; You need to be sure if the low-rent is a good compensation for the period you have to walk to the train station. Get more familiar with the location, and visit the place at different times to know the traffic situation. Check the accessibility of the apartment location to vital infrastructure, shopping malls, and other things you might need.
Make arrangements to ship your car across the country
You need to make plans to ship your car before you move. When it comes to shipping your car across the country, these are the two major concerns; your schedule and the shipping budget. It can take 1 to 2 weeks to ship your car across the country. So, you need to plan the shipment and your relocation to your new place so you can be there in time for when your car comes in. Secondly, consider the shipping budget. Unfortunately, there's no fixed average price for shipping your car.
Different factors affect the price for shipping your car. They include the size of the car, the distance of the shipment, the car's overall condition, the place of pick up, and so on.
Prepare the things you are buying before the move
Make a checklist for the essential items you need in your new place, especially for your first day and night there. Here's a sense of what the checklist should look like:
- Bed: it is okay if you don't get a frame yet because you may still need to properly access the room size. At least get the essentials, like a mattress, bedsheet, mattress topper, duvet, and pillows.
- Curtains: curtains are essential for when you move to your new place. You need them to protect your privacy. You can also keep the sun out of your room, so it does not disturb your sleep in the morning. Make plans to get shower curtains too.
- Toolkits: you need to get the likes of hammer, nails, screwdrivers, pliers when you move. They will be useful when you need to work on your furniture or perform repairs and open boxes.
- Step stool: this is an underrated item. Step stools are much needed when you need to unpack into high shelves and cupboards. Also, when you need to change alarm batteries and other things that are high up.
- Cleaning supplies: these are important for the day of moving. You need antibacterial spray, a hoover, clothes, toilet cleaner, bins, and others to clean the place you are moving into.
Other arrangements to make before moving include:
- Wifi: check prices on broadband and make arrangements for the router to be delivered or installed on getting to your new place.
- Driving license: sort this too before moving since your driving license has to have your current address on it.
- Update your address: update your new address on important documents like your university, place of work, bank, etc.
As much as moving to your new house is a major step and a bit too demanding, especially for a first-timer, you can make it a lot more convenient for you if you prepare. Follow our tips and advice in this article to make moving to your house a smooth experience for you.