How to Convert Your Photo Into Memorable Paint-by-Numbers
Paint by numbers is a painting technique that allows beginner-level painters to follow instructions and create stunning art. It is a craft that involves numbered canvases, divided into different shapes, painted with different colors. First Paint By Number Kit was developed by Dan Robbins while working in Palmers Paint Company in Michigan. It was a mere attempt to introduce a hobby that would help them sell more paint products. He mentioned that he took the idea from Leonardo da Vinci's system of numbering and dividing sections of paintings to make it easier to follow. One of the best things about this craft is that it does not require you to be an artist. Just follow the instructions and you are good to go.
Custom Paint by Numbers
You can order a custom painting from a store online but keep a few things in mind while doing so:
- The website you choose should be well reputed and known for producing quality products.
- Pick a store in your country or an area near you so you do not have to wait a lot.
- Lastly, you will receive every project with a kit that includes a canvas, paint brushes and paints.
DIY Paint by Numbers
You can print your paint by number template through several websites online, by following these few simple steps:
Step 1 = Choose a photo
Step 2 = Upload it on a website.
Step 3 = Once it is uploaded, click on the picture to create a color palette. However, if you choose more colors, it will add further details to your painting.
Step 4 = Press enter to get your results. Now you can switch between filled and outline to see how your template looks.
Step 5 = In the end, save the picture, and then you can print it in whichever size you want. Do not forget to save the color palette, as you will need it as a reference while painting.
How to choose the best photo?
Size and pixels - Selecting a picture is probably the most crucial part of the process, so your photo should always be of high quality. Now comes the technical part. Always check the pixels for your image before converting it into Paint By Numbers. In an organism, a cell is the smallest part of a body similarly, a pixel is the smallest part of a digital image. The picture that you choose should at least be 750 pixels high and wide.
How to get the dimensions of your image?
For Windows users:
Right-click on your image in the file explorer, open its properties, and then view it in the summary tab. You will see the dimensions where the pixels of your picture will be mentioned.
For mac users:
Find your picture in the finder, right-click on it and get the info. A pop-up window will open up in the more info section, which will show the dimensions and pixels of your image.
Crop excess out - Another way to ensure that the main focus of your painting is the subject, you need to choose a close-up picture. You can crop the excess part of the background out because a standard paint by number includes either 24 or 36 colors, and if the background is detailed it will take the focus off from the main subject.
Colour and Contrast - The picture must be clicked in good lighting, or its outlines will mess up when it is converted into a paint-by-numbers template. Another thing to keep in mind is the contrast of the subject with its background. Try to choose a picture that has a very distinct color combination with its background so that the software can differentiate the main subject from its background and create a perfect outline. Hence black and white photos work the best.
Aspect ratio - The ratio of a picture refers to the proportion between its length and its width. You also need to check the ratio between the photograph and the size of the painting that you want. Crop your picture according to your desired size before sending it out to your retailer.
Tips and Tricks
Follow a sequence – Start your painting from the top to bottom or left to right. It will help you reduce smudges on your canvas. You can also use the same color at a time and then start with the other colors. Following a pattern makes the activity more organized and all the more fun.
- Remove the wrinkles – Before starting your first project, you should straighten the canvas by ironing it.
- Work in a tidy space – Sit in a comfortable seat in a well-lit room, and try to reduce distractions so that you can fully concentrate on your project.
- Take good care of your supplies – Clean your brushes while switching colors and before storing them. Try not to mess up the tip of your brush, so that you can paint tidily. Keep the lids of your paints closed tight to avoid them from drying out.
- Use acrylics – Acrylics are easier to use and recommended for beginners. They easily wash off with water, unlike oil paints that require a lot of hard work.
- Gesso works wonders – This tip is essential for all beginners. Before you start painting, apply clear gesso all over your canvas. It provides a smooth texture and will make it easier for you to paint.
- Finish coat- At last, apply a clear acrylic coat to seal the painting and give it a little extra shine.
Frame your finished canvas
Once you have completed your painting, you can frame and hang it on a wall in your living room. Some of the Painting By Number Kits come with a frame or you get one of your choices. Go for dark-colored wooden frames to give you a classy vintage look. Happy painting!