Your Ultimate Guide to Collagen Powder
Are you looking for supplements or cure-alls that can make you perfectly healthy in a day or two? Unfortunately, no such thing exists (at least, not yet). However, many supplements on the market do offer numerous benefits to multiples systems within the human body. One such supplement is collagen. This protein, which is easy to break down and absorb, can improve skin health, alleviate joint pain, increase bone strength, and much more.
Collage is a protein that the human body naturally produces. In fact, collagen is the most abundant protein in the body; it's found in your skin, blood vessels, corneas, teeth, gut, bones, ligaments, tendons, and other fibrous tissues.
This protein, made up of amino acids, mainly functions to provide strength and cushioning to the various parts of the body. In short, it holds the body together by forming a scaffold. However, as people age, their natural production of collagen slows. To counteract this occurrence, many people choose to take collagen supplements.
What is Collagen and What Does it Do?
Why Take Collagen Supplements?
As people age, natural collagen production reduces, causing wrinkles and dryness in their skin. Their bones start weakening, and they start experiencing joint pain frequently. However, you can reverse a lot of these effects by taking collagen powder or any other form of collagen supplements.
Here are a few of the most impressive collagen benefits include:
- Improves Skin Health– Collagen powder can slow down the aging process of your skin, reducing wrinkles and dryness, increasing elasticity, and providing the necessary hydration.
- Relieves Joint Pain– Collagen aids in reducing joint pain and alleviating the symptoms related to osteoarthritis. The protein provides better support to your joints, reducing inflammation.
- Prevents Bone Loss– The deterioration of collagen in the body can lead to a reduction in bone density, increasing the chances of bone fractures. Collagen supplements can help inhibit this bone breakdown, which can lead to bone disorders such as osteoporosis.
- Boosts Muscle Mass– Collagen supplements can also help you gain muscle mass by promoting the synthesis of muscle proteins such as creatine. Bodybuilders tend to find these supplements very useful.
- Promotes Heart Health– Collagen powder and supplements strengthen your arteries and reduce the risks of Atherosclerosis, a disease that has the potential to cause heart attacks and strokes. They also reduce stiffness in arteries and increase your levels of "good" cholesterol.
Apart from these benefits, collagen powder, supplements, and topicals can also help improve the health of your hair and nails, stimulating them to grow longer. It can also set right some digestive disorders and improve your quality of sleep.
Collagen supplements are available in various forms, such as capsules, liquid, and injections. However, collagen powder is the most popular option because of its ease of use and effectiveness.
The most convenient way of taking collagen powder is to blend a whole scoop of it along with your favorite smoothie or juice. The powder has no taste and mixes with liquids without changing the texture of the drink. You can also mix it in your coffee or tea as long as you don't overdo it. Here are a few more things you can do with a spoon full of collagen powder:
- Bake with it
- Cook with it
- Mix it in the food that you eat, for example, salad dressings
- Put it in ice pops for a refreshing dessert
You can also take collagen powder directly by mixing it with a glass of water. However, make sure you stir it until it dissolves completely. Collagen powder can be consumed at any time of the day. You can have the entire dose of collagen powder at once or split up the dosage.
To start with, you can take one tablespoon of the powder with your morning coffee and another tablespoon with your afternoon tea. You may feel a bit thirstier than usual because of the extra protein, so keep a water bottle handy.
Also, you should try cutting down on your sugar intake if you wish to increase the effectiveness of collagen powder. Excess sugar is said to weaken the production of collagen. Make it a point to include a lot of leafy greens and colorful fruits in your diet. The vitamins in fruits and vegetables help the body absorb the collagen.
How to Take Collagen Supplements
Talk to Your Doctor and Give Collagen a Try
The potential benefits of collagen powder definitely make it worth trying. It is incredibly useful, as well as safe to use. However, make sure you consult your doctor before adding any supplements to your daily routine. Once you get the all-clear to add collagen supplements to your daily regimen, you'll be well on your way to maintaining a healthier body!