Are You Considering Rhinoplasty in Sydney?
Sydney is known as one of the most fashionable cities in Australia. One of its most popular fashion events is the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Australia (MBFWA), where seasoned and new designers showcase their street-style designs. Australians attend these events to get inspiration in dressing up.
Aside from fashion, this innate desire to beautify one’s self has led to the growth of the cosmetic surgery industry. There is a growing interest in non-invasive rejuvenation procedures like anti-wrinkle treatments, dermal fillers, and platelet-rich plasma (PRP). Moreover, there are ear pinning and eyelid surgeries. However, one of the most popular procedures is getting rhinoplasty in Sydney.
According to an article from the Special Broadcasting Service (SBS), Australians spend around $1 billion on different cosmetic treatments. Based on statistics from the Department of Health in 2016, there is no shortage of plastic surgeons, with Sydney being second to Victoria in its proportion of clinicians.
Therefore, if you’re seriously considering having a rhinoplasty, there are things you should consider before taking the plunge.
By Stephi LaReine
Check the Credentials of your Plastic Surgeon
As in any medical procedure, choose doctors based on their credentials, experience, peer and patient reviews, and before-and-after photos.
Check for surgeons who do rhinoplasty in Sydney and are Board-certified and registered under:
- Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS)
- International Board for Certification in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (IBCFPRS)
- Australasian Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery
- Australian Medical Association (AMA)
- International Federation of Facial Plastic Surgery Societies (IFFPSS)
Having such certifications means that your doctor has gone through extensive training. Fellowship is indicative of more advanced training under the mentorship of the best surgeons in the world.
For nose jobs, medical experts recommend choosing a surgeon who is also an otolaryngologist (ENT) doctor.
Find Out the Cost
According to an OFX article in 2017, a getting rhinoplasty in Sydney costs around AUD 8,000. Factors that can affect the total cost are:
- Your insurance coverage. Insurance companies will cover rhinoplasty surgeries, depending on the reason. Non-medical cosmetic reasons are usually not included. However, a surgeon may suggest cases like breathing difficulties or a deviated septum leading to a rhinoplasty.
- The expertise of your surgeon. Because of their years of experience and credibility, surgeons may charge individual professional fees. If your case is more complex, you will need a surgeon who has the required training, exposure, and experience.
- Level of your sedation. If your case requires heavy sedation, you may need the services of an anesthesiologist or a nurse anesthetist. They charge separately for their participation in your surgery.
- Post-operation costs. Expenses include follow-up checkups, medicines, and supplies (for example, needles, syringes, gauze, scissors, and towels).
Look Into Medicare Coverage
Generally, Medicare does not cover cosmetic surgeries. Based on the Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS), rhinoplasty is included only for valid medical reasons, like airway obstruction and congenital deformities.
However, recent MBS changes in 2018 allow rebates for septoplasty (rhinoplasty) on revision nose surgery, but only if the previous rhinoplasty was initiated by breathing difficulties or septum problems.
To get more details about your case, visit Medicare offices located in Sydney.
These factors will help you decide on whether or not to get rhinoplasty in Sydney. However, another critical thing to consider is your level of comfort with the surgeon. If you are at ease in communicating your needs and concerns, which is a good sign that you found the right doctor.
By Stephi LaReine