5 Myths and Misconceptions About Lab Grown Diamonds: Are They the Real Deal?
There are a lot of misconceptions when it comes to lab-grown diamonds. Many people do not understand the concept and are leery of purchasing them. Clearing up the confusion is essential for understanding what you are purchasing when you buy a lab-created diamond.
There are a couple of different processes that can be used to grow a diamond in a lab. The following offers a summary of the two processes. After learning about these methods, you may want to view Lab Grown Diamond Engagement Rings
How Is a Diamond Grown in a Lab?
High-Pressure-High Temperature (HPHT) -;
These diamonds can be made using a belt press, split-sphere, or cubic press. These all create high-pressure environments that are conducive to growing diamonds.
This process involves a thin sheet of diamond seed that is placed in a chamber that is heated to high temperatures. The chamber is filled with gases like carbon and methane to facilitate diamond growth.
Chemical Vapor Deposition (CVD)
5 Myths and Misconceptions About Lab Grown Diamonds
It is important diamond buyers understand what they are buying and can separate fact from fiction. The following are some of the common myths that continue to be perpetuated today.
- Lab-grown diamonds are not real diamonds. This is entirely false because there is no chemical difference between natural and lab-grown diamonds, according to scientists. A lab-grown diamond has the same chemical composition of mined diamonds and the same level 10 hardness.
- Another myth is lab-grown diamonds are synthetic. This a myth that has been repeatedly disputed by the Federal Trade Commission which has announced that a diamond is a diamond whether it has been mined or created in a laboratory.
- Some people mistakenly believe lab diamonds are not as strong as those made naturally. Both types of diamonds have the same chemical makeup and the same hardness level. One is no more durable than the other.
- Another common misconception people have regarding lab diamonds is that they are more perfect than those that come from the earth. Unfortunately, this simply is not true. The same inclusions that occur in "natural" diamonds also occur in those created in a lab because the same elements of pressure and heat are used.
- Many people mistakenly believe they can more easily afford lab diamonds because they are cheap. Yes, they are around 40% less expensive than mined diamonds, but they are nowhere near cheap.
There are many benefits to purchasing lab-grown diamonds. Being aware of the benefits will help you in your purchase decision.
- Although lab-grown diamonds are not perfect, they do offer a higher level of purity and clarity, making them sparkle more.
- Because these diamonds are ethically sourced, there is no guilt in purchasing them.
- These diamonds are environmentally friendly and sustainable so they are better for the environment.
If you are in the market for a diamond, there is no reason not to consider purchasing a lab creation. These are the same diamonds that are pulled out of mines. The only difference in these diamonds is the time length it takes for them to be made.
When comparing mined diamonds to lab creations, they are the same in appearance and composition. The Federal Trade Commission has even put in warnings about sellers marketing diamonds as "natural" because they say a diamond is a diamond, no matter how it has been created.