THINGS THAT HAPPEN WITH BRIGHT COLOURED HAIR

Stephi LaReine // Liverpool UK Lifestyle curly pink haired blogger // Things that happen with bright coloured hair

This is a subject I’ve wanted to touch upon for ages after years of having obscurely coloured hair, then recently naturalish then back to pinks and purples you flow through a series of changes amongst the general public anything from strange looks to lovely compliments and all the madness in between, this is all the crazy happenings of a person with bright coloured hair!

Stephi LaReine, pink haired fashion and lifestyle blogger

HAVING ODD COLOURED EARS BECOMES A NORMALITY

A strange point to start on, but let’s get the weird done with. I dye my hair at home, and despite using Vaseline around my hairline and smothered across my ears I still somehow manage to look like I’ve been smacked about the ears, when you’ve got a limited amount of time to strategically wipe your neck and face you somewhat forget the importance and leave it out. Thankfully I have been blessed with fortunate enough genes to be able to cover my ears with thick afro like hair, there’s enough to go around and hide pink ears.

London Fashion Week, pink curly hair lifestyle blogger, Stephi LaReine

PEOPLE CONSIDER YOU UNEMPLOYABLE

Which is an absolute joke, and never fails to tickle me when I think about how my trademark and niche is defined by something that is considered ‘unemployable’ considering we live in an age where individuality is rewarded and jobs are getting more flexible on hair dye, piercings and tattoos even in retail and office jobs as it slides into daily culture and grows more acceptable, you would expect the out of date insults to stop, especially remarks about not looking ‘professional’, ask Zandra Rhodes why her pink hair made her look ‘unprofessional’

Stephi LaReine, pink haired blogger // Things that happen with bright coloured hair

YOU FORGET YOU HAVE BRIGHT HAIR

I spend a lot of time commuting and lose concept of why people stare, I get very insecure about people looking at me and slightly hostile if people make remarks about having bright hair, having spent so many years backfiring comments about how my hair is a characteristic that is mine and not theirs to judge on, that when nowadays people see/ask I forget I stick out like a shining beacon of light in a crowd, which is handy when you lose someone at a gig or in your local grocery store.

LFW Pink hair lifestyle blogger, curly pastel hair, Stephi LaReine

YOU CANNOT WAIT TO BE ELDERLY WITH RAD HAIR

Pink and purple hair at 70? Yes please, I want to be the sassiest coolest granny ever. My mum remarked on how my hair looked like a elderly ladies blue rinse and praised how they maintained pastel hair (which is incredibly hard work, so hats off to the OAP’s) My style inspiration is Anna Piaggi the editor of Vogue Italia she was the coolest old lady and worked her blue hair like she was born with it!

Pink and purple pastel hair, Stephi LaReine, Liverpool UK Fashion Lifestyle Blogger

IT’S IMPOSSIBLE TO LIVE IN A WHITE PAINTED HOME

Although you never flicked your hair and the dye itself says none drip it will find a way of splattering up your bathroom, personally I like the prospect of a pink bathroom whereas my boyfriend doesn’t (I will get my pastel bathroom!) And if its not the hair dye you’ll find bits of hair…everywhere! Small pastel coloured dust bunnies down the sides of the sofa, down the plug hole, it’s bright and every strand sticks out like a sore thumb

Mermaid Pastel Pink Purple Curly Hair // Things That Happen with Bright Coloured Hair

CHILDREN ARE FASCINATED

I was in a shop with a friend the other day and told a little girl I was a princess when she asked why I had coloured hair. Another time a girl started plaiting my hair on the bus. You see kids whispering to each other and mesmerised by its vibrancy. Expect to be called a pretty pony, because to them you are as rare as unicorns.
In fact all humans are generally fascinated by this, I had Kate Nash stop half way through her set to tell me I looked like a mermaid, and Jarvis Cocker couldn’t get enough of it, it certainly made me happy and certainly shows it provokes curiosity!

Pastels That Rebel, London Fashion Week, pastel pink hair, Stephi LaReine blogger

CONDITIONER IS YOUR BEST FRIEND

I use conditioner like its available running water, and hiss at shampoo. Anything that keep the longevity of saturation will stay dear, I use it for diluting my dye on a day I’m feeling a not so hot pink. We all of course know about the damage that occurs from dying, although my dye is vegetable based and has conditioning properties it still affects my hair and requires TLC like we all do, coloured hair or not!

Pink Hair Tumblr Gif Stephi LaReine

All in all my bright coloured hair makes me a unique snowflake, I enjoy it and wouldn’t change it for the world, whether people mock you for being yourself or embrace your mermaid-ness that fab saying ‘Throw kindness around like confetti!’ seems pretty fitting, so who cares coloured hair is fab and its here to stay!

What do you think of bright coloured hair?

BLOGLOVIN // TWITTER // INSTAGRAM // YOUTUBE

21 Comments

1. Anonymous
    Apr 10, 2015 / 8:55 am

a really good giggle!

2. Apr 10, 2015 / 12:38 pm

I love having pink hair, at work I remember people would ask me if it was real or a wig!

Frankie x
    Crazyblondegal

3. Apr 10, 2015 / 1:31 pm

Your hair is such a gorgeous shade!! I recently dyed my sister's hair a candyfloss pink colour and conditioner has definitely been her best friend too! x

Amy | The Perks of Being Amy

4. Apr 11, 2015 / 11:05 am

The idea of having my hair bright was terrifying to me until I read this! I suppose that for every negative comment you get about it there are 10 good ones, and my goodness you look stunning with your pink locks!
    These pictures are gorgeous!
    Hope you've had a great Saturday,
    Bethany x

bethanygraceo.blogspot.dk

Do pop over to my blog, if you fancy of course, and tell me what you think!

5. Apr 12, 2015 / 12:36 pm

you should totally go for it, even just once, the dyes are temporary 😀

6. Apr 12, 2015 / 12:38 pm

Awh that is definitely the case, the amount of compliments I get, my hair is my thing and I ignore any nasty comments, but it its what defines you sometimes it can be hard to back off compliments and as I said I get a tad hostile from the many years of people saying things about my hair! But I'm so SO happy you like it thank you and hope you had a great weekend too lovely x

7. Apr 12, 2015 / 12:39 pm

thank you so much lovely! It really does help for every shampoo I think I'm getting 3 conditioners aha! x

8. Apr 12, 2015 / 12:40 pm

Ahh no way! Least you know its real eh! Pink hair is the best thing! x

9. Harsha
    Apr 14, 2015 / 10:30 am

I love this post!
    I had pink hair like yours a couple of years ago but never really maintained it and just let it grow out. For me I found people were far more fascinated by the fact I was Indian and had bright coloured hair than the fact of it actually being pink (it went for atomic pink by manic panic).

Now that that's all gone I've dip dyed it teal and purple and I don't think I could live without even a bit of bright hair again!

10. Apr 17, 2015 / 8:18 pm

I love love LOVE it! It's not so uncommon here in Southern California and thank goodness because I think the world could use a little brightness. You rock yours with the best of them, lovely!

11. Apr 18, 2015 / 3:56 pm

Great post! I've been thinking about dying my hair a bright colour in Summer (…my sixth form doesn't allow it:(" and definitely think I will after seeing how amazing your hair looks. Xx

12. Apr 21, 2015 / 2:42 pm

Omg the unemployed point! I laughed as soon as I saw that cus it's so so true and reminded me of so many times that ppl were positive I couldn't be working with colored hair (and facial piercings. I actually love setting those ppl straight lol. Oh and the child point! I've had a lot of encounters in the grocery story with kids begging their parents to let them have purple or pink (or whatever color I have at the time) colored hair and their parents humoring yet being slightly pissed at the same time that the kids got the idea in their head. I love it 😉

13. Apr 21, 2015 / 9:16 pm

Oh my gosh I relate to all of these! I have purple/blue ombre hair and I forget I have coloured hair, little kids stare at me and the most surprising of all is the grown ups who come up to me to tell me how much they like my hair, even a 90yr old man stopped me in Tescos to tell me and then gave me a thumbs up! 😀

14. Apr 27, 2015 / 12:49 pm

Great post! I think it's extremely important to do what you like and love and not to listen to that s*** what other people say… And just don't let insecure you by those.. I get DIP DYE again on 12th may, I'm so excited. 😀 <3
    Much love, the other Stéphie. 😉 <3