RULES OF CURLY HAIR

Rules of curly hair, pink hair, tangle teezer, tigi curly fox, umberto giannini, stephi lareine

Curly hair is a big marmite moment amongst people, the people without it love it, and the people with it hate it. Some days it can be your best friend but under the alarming circumstances of entering a mildly humid climate and you start transforming into a cloud of cotton wool. I’ve battled with ringlets in my hair all my life and over the past year or so learnt to tame what seemed like the unruly and ever expanding nature of my hair. I’m going to share with you things I wish I learnt from the start!

Plait your hair before you go to bed – for me this now comes naturally, sometimes I slip up and have a naughty night from being too tired, but always keep scrunchie at hand (on the subject, abolish all hair ties, favour a fabric or silk scrunchie or a bobble without the metal clamps and something too tight that’s going to eat at your hair) I’ve found not only by me throwing it in a long chunky plait does it not get knotty but it also tames the curls to a series of curly waves instead of extreme ringlets.

Invest in a Tangle Teezer – I read some nifty reviews online about this hair brush and considered it for months, previously paying quite a lot in paddle brushes, and hell I even tried a afro comb, it worked when I was little but trying now was a task getting a little comb through a mountain of hair.

Day after day I would have Princess Diaries moments where the brush would snap in my hair and eventually I gave in, walked out of Boots smirking, got home and managed to get through the longest, frizziest and curliest part of my hair root to tip, what an absolute miracle!

Since I never look back, the special technology of the soft and bendy bristles doesn’t damage your hair next to others (avoid cheap brushes with plastic bobbles on the bristles like the black plague!) It reminds me of a horses brush but I don’t mind, I haven’t had a princess diaries moment since!

Sleep on a satin/silk pillow case, this is a new one for me a very old lady with hair gorgeous black hair past her waist told me when picking out hair serum, thank you hair lady! The cotton in normal pillow cases causes so much damage when we sleep on it, which makes sense, the underside of my sheep hair turns to static when I sleep on normal pillowcases, now I take one when I go anyway, or alternatively if you don’t favour the slippy case, wrap your hair in a silk scarf to protect your hair, in the morning it takes the stress out of styling knowing your curly locks have that effortless definition!

Rule out styling tools completely – I know this one is very hard for some people, for years I straightened my hair, and went against completely what it naturally intended, sometimes it fought back with force and became extra curlier than usual when heat was applied. I know so many people who couldn’t give up heat and they ask how I don’t do anything, and I literally mean ANYTHING. The trick is to leave your hair to its natural ways. Heat is so damaging, and now as a convert cannot fathom why people would destroy their gorgeous hair! In my personal opinion my curls are at their defined, sexiest and most beautiful looking when air-dried, yes it takes 8 hours to dry but I the results are perfect, and the great thing with curly hair is that no two day they look the same

This leads to my next point, my lack of styling was thanks to one decision I made – to grow out my hair. Curls look sexy short, mid or in long hair, I myself always see myself as a long hair kinda gal because the curls are so unruly and super ringlety to manage them requires some weight, this also takes out half the brushing. But with long hair comes great responsibilities, and if you take care of your curly hair it will take care of you. Take a moment to consider if longer hair is what you need, particularly if you use heat to style, that decision could be the answer to your underlying problem.

Next we’re going to talk about products! Here I will tread carefully because I feel products somewhat go hand in hand with heat, they both enforce unnatural habits in your hair which is a no no. I am so picky with what products I will and will not use. Firstly, always pay attention to the ingredients on the bottle, 9/10 times if I cannot pronounce the longest word in the ingredients list I will not buy it, that’s alarms indicating the sheer amount of chemicals.

The best advice I can give with regards to products is buy anything with coconut oil or argan oil in, your curls will eat up all that moisture in a heart beat, I favour coconut oil more, and cannot live without a massive jar, it’s one of the few substances that is fully absorbed into the hair follicle. I use this with a small amount of conditioner, which by the way is your curly hairs best friend!

High street stores don’t all stock these but ranges like Umberto Giannini’s Curl Friends and Tigi’s Curly Fox are amazing for serums, conditioners and intensive treatments that all promote healthy natural bouncy curls.

Finally learn to love your curls, don’t fight what you have, curls are such a blessing to have and if we let them do their thing we won’t damage them any further! There are so many better things to be doing than spending a life time trying to control something that is actually very beautiful. My curly hair is my personality, I wouldn’t be Stephi without my hair and I will do anything to keep it looking beautiful till I am a very old lady with glamorous curls!

What are your hair secrets?
Any items marked with a * have been gifted or sent to me to review, please see my pr/disclosure

35 Comments

1. Sep 13, 2014 / 11:08 pm

I Have Curly hair, & braiding before bed! is a great tip ������ thank you lovely for these great rules!!

Lots of love <3

Serene

xoxox

2. Sep 13, 2014 / 11:27 pm

You are so very welcome, hope this has helped you 🙂 x

3. Sep 14, 2014 / 1:10 am

These are great tips! My hair had always been wavy… But when I had it super long I would always put it in a braid too… Really helped control the frizz 😀

Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

4. Sep 14, 2014 / 6:55 am

Great article. I'm at a stage now where I appreciate having some curls, but as a teen, it was out with the steam Babyliss straighteners at first opportunity! I only straighten it once a week now. Don't you find people assume the curls take a lot of time to style? People with straight hair don't get that when you wear your hair curly, it is because you didn't style it! Gemma x

Beautiful Life as I know it

5. Sep 14, 2014 / 8:02 am

My hair used to be quite curly but as I've gotten older its more between curl&wave and the past year I've loved having curly hair! Great post x

owlsinthesummer.blogspot.co.uk

6. Sep 14, 2014 / 8:03 am

Awh so glad you found this helpful! 🙂 x

7. Sep 14, 2014 / 8:04 am

Love the curls that you were gifted yes and thank you dear. X

8. Sep 14, 2014 / 8:06 am

That's exactly it yes people think so much time goes into our hair maintenance, more time spent snoozing in the morning than damaging our hair! X

9. Sep 14, 2014 / 8:14 am

I'll try coconut oil! I have it at home but have never user it for my hair so after reading this post I should! Love your post i have the same hair. And it's true, for curly hair heat is the badest thing for your hair. My hair is so sensitive.. I also like your tip with the silk pillow! Xx

10. Sep 14, 2014 / 1:53 pm

I've been straightening my curly hair for years but recently just can't be bothered. I'm definitely going to try some of these to see if it makes my curls nice enough to leave without heat.

11. Sep 14, 2014 / 4:02 pm

So true, it pains me to see people with natural body to their hair straighten the life out of it. heat is the worst thing for hair.

Have you tried using a T-shirt to towel dry your hair? ive heard that works well too.

12. Sep 14, 2014 / 6:41 pm

Coconut oil is the absolute must must must for curly hair and this makes two of us the strands sre so much more susceptible to breaking due to its natural shape and requires more tlc!
    Glad you liked it lovely 🙂 x

13. Sep 14, 2014 / 6:43 pm

Thank you so much I haven't linked where they're from but it's Pretty Attitude and Oceanic Jewellers!! X

14. Sep 14, 2014 / 6:44 pm

Honestly I wouldn't fight what you naturally have and go with the flow!! X

15. Sep 14, 2014 / 6:46 pm

I couldn't agree more natural is far nicer and i always hear of this tshirt thing i must try it!!! 🙂 x

16. Sep 15, 2014 / 12:55 pm

It is ALL about the tangle teaser ( I have thick long hair, not curly but I cam empathise!) I couldn't live without it now, worth every penny , and i am hard to please x

17. Sep 15, 2014 / 1:16 pm

Such a great post! I have hair which is incredibly frizzy, but if I leave it to dry naturally it dries in little ringlets. I love having it curly but it's just the waiting for it to dry that I sometimes don't have time for. I've got a lot more free time now and can't wait to embrace my curls again! x

18. Sep 15, 2014 / 2:17 pm

Yes Em, it's a bit pricey for something so small but is an absolute game changer in a hair routine! Same I'm so picky with my buys! x

19. Sep 15, 2014 / 2:19 pm

Thank you! If you haven't got much time, try to wash your hair in the evening, the drying time is an absolute nuisance in the morning! x

20. Sep 17, 2014 / 10:45 am

'Plait your hair before you go to bed' !!!
    So true.

21. Sep 17, 2014 / 1:54 pm

Some of the rules you've written down here can be easily applied to any kind of hair, I think. Unless you have super silky and straight hair (which sadly (?) only very few people seem to have), braiding it before sleeping and investing in a good brush always helps. So thank you for this nice post, it helped me, eventhough my hair is not curly at all.

22. Sep 17, 2014 / 2:18 pm

That's fantastic to hear knowing that it can help a lot more people now, of course it's common sense to invest in a good brush and plaiting to prevent knots but I never knew it would benefit so much, good to hear this has helped dear and thank you 🙂

23. Sep 30, 2014 / 4:40 pm

Ahhhh so happy I've found someone with hair just like mine! (ignore the icon.. I'm naughty and occasionally use heat). Any tips on what to ask for in the hair dresser? They always seem to cut mine when it's wet as if it were straight and it looks completely different once it's dried! Thank you! (and thank you so much for following my blog on bloglovin!) <3 Have a lovely day

24. Sep 30, 2014 / 5:22 pm

I haven't been to the hairdresser in forever we're talking years, I would just recommend to go with a hair cut that's longer and easier to mantain and preferably dry cut if they do that and you're very welcome 🙂 x

25. Nov 28, 2014 / 12:51 pm

I'm totally guilty of straightening my natural thick curly hair. I just can't help it. It's soo thick as well so it puffs out uncontrollably at times, it's so unpredictable. I think it is time for me to ditch the straighteners though so will definitely be trying your tips, your hair is lovely…wish me luck arghh. xx

26. Aug 27, 2015 / 8:40 am

I love reading these kinds of curl-liberating articles! Thanks for being bold with your curls and sharing tips you've learned along the way! I gave up straightening years ago and have never looked back.